Friday 8 March 2013

Update


As I’ve managed to bring my story up-to-date, it’s been harder to post relevant new comment surrounding Domestic Violence.   The abuse I suffered still impacts my life and always will.  I’ve always tried to seek to turn negative experiences into something positive for the common good and this blog has helped me do that.
I’m not too sure that attitudes towards accepting that men can be victims of Domestic Violence are changing.  Although the gap between female and male victims isn’t as wide as most would believe, denial still exists surrounding male victims.   

While providing support for women (and children) is a topic currently high on the political agenda, it also sends out a  message that deeply concerns me.  Virtually all support agencies I’ve encountered are staffed solely by women and offer programmes for women and children only.  This gives out the subconscious implication that only women can be victims while men are the sole perpetrators.  I have actually come across an organisation that makes that very claim and so I take every opportunity to promote the fact that of every REPORTED domestic violence incident in the United Kingdom, every third victim of Domestic Abuse will be a man.  While 1 in 4 women experience domestic abuse, 1 in 6 men will also suffer.  Staggering and frightening figures.  Men are also less likely to come forward and acknowledge that they have been abused.  This is because they don’t want to be seen as weak men and because they know that very few people will believe them.  Speaking out is actually the sign of a strong man!  Some women actually exploit this to emotionally control and blackmail their partners.

I will continue to get this message across.  I’m grateful that I have been giving a voice and people are beginning to take notice.  A lot of this has to do with one of the current storylines of the popular soap opera, Coronation Street.  For the last year, viewers have watch Car Mechanic Tyrone Dobbs suffer at the hands of his wife.   The scriptwriters have dealt with this sensitively and seem to be exploring many of the issues involved.  Well done Coronation Street! 

In recent weeks, I’ve managed to hold a meeting with a District Councillor who has the portfolio for Domestic Abuse services and the local newspaper has carried an interview with me. 
Domestic Violence affects ALL genders and there is no excuse, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment